Wednesday 23 March 2016

Exodus 3:14 'I AM WHO I AM' vs 'I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE'

Most english bibles translate Exodus 3:14 in this manner:


This verse conveniently coincides with the I am in the New Testament from Jesus' speech. See John chapter 8 verse 58. Thereby implying that he is the same I AM in Exodus 3:14, which to their mind proves that Jesus is the God who was speaking to Moses in the second book of the Tanakh.

However, information is now free, especially on the internet. Did God really say I AM in Exodus 3:14? Before we answer this questions, lets take a look at a much maligned alternative rendition of the same verse by a sect which almost every mainstream brand of Christianity despises - the Jehova's Witness. I am not promoting this sect for I do not subscribe to their teachings. Let's see their rendition below.


Interesting indeed. It is quite different from most renditions of English bibles. Trinitarians loathe this version as it takes away one of their proofs that Jesus is indeed God. Most people know that this sect does not agree with a trinitarian view of Christianity. If you look at it from an interlinear translation of the bible from Hebrew to English, you will notice that Jehovah's Witness rendition of Exodus 3:14 is in fact closer to the truth.

What's missing here is the word 'Choose' which appears to be added in the Jehovah's Witness bible. The opponents of this rendition will argue that this does not make sense. What doesn't make sense is the fact that Ehyah which translates to I WILL BE can also be found in Exodus 3:12


Notice how the King James bible renders it just as it is in Exodus 3:12 - I WILL BE and not I AM. So why the change from I will be to I am in verse 14?

To put an end to this argument. Let's take a look at the rendition of the verse in dispute from a Jewish perspective. After all, the first five books of the Old Testament also known as the Torah was handed to them.


So there you are. It isn't I AM at all, but Do you still wish to believe the Lie?



  

No comments:

Post a Comment